Zoe and Sozo Publishing: The Foundlings


Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and other fantasy fiction novels made their way into our home, despite my reservations,years ago. Viewing together, we first opened our minds to these fictional stories through film. We discussed the genre and the movies, story lines and authors. As our son has grown he finds enjoyment in reading these novels leisurely. Our daughter enjoyed Narnia but has not found a keen interest in the genre, much like her Mother.

We received the fantasy novel, "Foundlings: The Peleg Chronicles" by Matthew Christian Harding. This was for a review of the story and the publishing company,'Zoe and Sozo Publishing'.


There are many new story series circulating that I find dark and frightening. At times, I find my views conflicting with my sisters and brothers in Christ. All of us must look at all literature and film in the light of Phil.4:8 in the Holy Scriptures.
It is then between each individual and their Saviour. We are not here to judge. Even in our own home we have caught ourselves becoming complacent in holding to this standard.

Philippians 4:8: Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.


Both in High School and College I came face to face with those who chose darkness and evil. I cannot even share the reality as to what my husband and I encountered. This is not the time for such. The struggle between light and dark is very real.
Because of having seen classmates choose a path so opposite of my own journey, the reality of their choice, I often do not want to speak of such evil characters and rituals. I know who is the Victor! I do not want to give evil any time.

As I picked up this book and took a look at Mr. Harding's story and testimony, I was intrigued to take a further look. Zoe and Sozo Publishing promote literature without magic, evolution, and humanism. The story, "Foundlings" is distinctively fiction, but set in the Old Testament days immediately following Noah’s flood, soon after the Tower of Babel.

I realized that this book was not quite to my tastes, but I would try and have an open mind. As we read on, I was happy to see hero's, who for the glory of God, fight evil with all they can. This is as we all must. I was not happy to read about a witch, in the opening, setting forth a curse. I was not happy to read of Dragon Priests. There are a few plot points involving the planned sacrifice of some of the characters. Evil is kept evil, thankfully. Realize the beasts are vividly described. We would not recommend this book for younger than thirteen. We think it would be best as a read aloud. Study guides and lapbooks are in the plans for the future. This book is part of a series. The second story, Paladins, was published in May of this year. I have not had a look at this book. Each book is sold as a softcover for $11.95 each. For much information and other products we direct you to the author's site.
You can also read more by visiting the reviews of the TOS Homeschool Crew.

I include the Publisher's Synopsis for yourself: (This copy is taken from the TOS Homeschool Crew Website)

Publisher’s synopsis of Foundlings: “In its pages we meet dragons, giants, false priests, the death hunt, an under-city of the Dwarven Brotherhood, and many memorable characters.

The story begins with Lord McDougal and his faithful shield-bearer, Fergus Leatherhead, departing their lands with giants at their backs, while before them lie in wait denizens of the bog-land and forest.

Ever ready to protect and serve others, they gather in tow an assortment of displaced adventurers and find themselves embroiled in a mysterious search for the foundlings: orphaned Thiery with his companion Horatio the white wolf, and Suzie who has been deceitfully retained by the thieves Elvodug and Flemup.

Others also seek the foundlings, and their purposes are most sinister – Dragon Priests who practice cozen sacrifices, and their leader Count Rosencross who is torn by his God given conscience and his pursuit of personal glory.

Onward toward the city of Hradcanny they travel, meeting with treachery, beast attacks, camaraderie and psalms of praise with an eye toward the gospel. Though their battles are at times fierce and the outcomes uncertain, the author maintains the integrity of these noble characters, who through weakness are made strong by Him in whom they trust.

Foundlings weaves together the Biblical principles of chivalry, truth, courage, duty, faith and love within the framework of Genesis, and a bold adherence to its historicity. It’s an exciting page turner that leaves you wanting more, but more importantly it leaves the reader with Godly heroes to think on and emulate, and a young earth creationist view of history that conforms to the Word of God.”

Comments

Michelle Smith said…
Thanks for sharing how your family felt about this title. I have been curious for my own children.

And, I have tagged YOU on my blog! Come see! :) http://homeschoolblogger.com/alifebetterthanidese/783679/