TOS Review: Salem Ridge Press


Books open our world to possibilities. Long used, is the saying that books will take you around the world. It's so true. I am saddened by the decrease of printed materials. Our own public library alerted us to this decrease. Many have told me they prefer the new technology. Well, call me old-fashioned. I embrace the smells, the feel of a book and the printed prose on the page. My method is just as travel easy. Salem Ridge Press satisfies both literary lovers.

Established in 2005, by a homeschool graduate, Salem Ridge Press is dedicated to bringing back (republishing) the great literary books of the 1800's and early
1900's. The goal is to bring them to another generation. To open the eyes and the mind to "living books",the purpose. Daniel Mills, the developer of Salem Ridge Press, shares that the underlying philosophy of the company can be found in the Bible.

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things (Philippians 4:8)."




You can learn more about the company by visiting here. Great books are a great addition to any homeschool! For this Homeschool that is adopting a Charlotte Mason approach after ten years, this company came into our lives at the right time. God is so good to lead us on our journey, which has changed in methods and curriculum over the years. He has always provided, and is always growing me. I have enjoyed my introduction to the books republished by Salem Ridge Press. These have included, these titles: "Marie's Home", and "Yussuf the Guide" in E-Book form. We received "Out of the Mouth of the Lion" in print. I have been thoroughly enjoying these titles during my own reading time nightly.



I will be saving these for read-alouds in future years. I felt they could have been used for read-aloud time now but I wanted to first read through them myself. Let me mention that I did notice on their website, that they have three available titles for younger readers and I hope they will doing more for that age group. I also am glad to see that difficult words are defined at the bottom of the page. With that help we may venture to use some of these titles even in second semester now that I have read in them. I hope we can add more books from Salem Ridge Press in the future. Remember, you cannot find these at your local bookstore! You can access samples, information, prices and reviews by visiting this linked list here. Prices are competitive, mine ranged from $12.95-$16.95 for soft-cover. Sign-up for their quarterly newsletter and be entered into a chance to win a free book! The Homeschool Crew reviewed a variety of titles. You can read more about their experiences by visiting the TOS Homeschool Crew Website.



I was given these three titles for an honest review of Salem Ridge Press, as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew.

Comments

I'm just getting around to this week's blog walk. I enjoyed your review of SRP. We did this company, too, but with different books. They really worked well for read alouds. There was a lot of opportunity for discussion. The unusual use of language, and new vocabulary kept my guys interested as well.
Lisa said…
Stopping by on a blog walk to say hi! We were on this review but had different books, Soldier Fitz, Young Robinhood, and Down the snow Stairs, and really enjoyed them.