Flashback Friday Meme - Back to School



This week's topic from Linda (Mocha With Linda) involves taking a look back at our school days. Here is her post spark:
Did your family have any back-to-school traditions when you were growing up? Were you generally eager or reluctant to start school? Was buying school supplies a big deal or did you order them through the school? Were there any school supplies you particularly loved? Did you take your lunch or buy it at school? Brown bag or lunch box/thermos? Does the first day of school from any grade stand out? Did you ride the bus, walk, or go by car to school? Do you remember how early or late school began/dismissed each day? Did you go to kindergarten? Half-day or whole day?


My Mother was a teacher so I started back early with her. She would take me along and I would sit in her classroom while she attended meetings. she would give me little jobs to do, and would take me toys and books. Sometimes, I would just curl up and sleep. We would eat a packed lunch at the desks in the room. Most of the afternoon was spent helping her set put books, run copies, and make bulletin boards.
I was so lucky to get to learn right alongside her. I loved this one on one time with my Mom. I do not remember what my older sister was doing on those days.


I remember feeling so special when Mom would give me a quarter and let me go to the soda pop machine. I can almost here the sound that old machine would make, and the sound of the glass bottle coming out. I would try and get the cap off myself on the machine. Thankfully, Mom kept an opener in her desk. Do you remember the "pop" when taking a cap off the glass bottle? Later those sounds were lost to a "click" with the cans, and then a "swish" with the plastic bottles. The glass bottles were my favorite. Once in awhile I was really treated and could get a bag of chips too. This was such a special treat for a hot afternoon inside Mother's classroom. We did not have such treats daily at home. I also remember being very creative during these times. I loved to take her class Monopoly game and create a city, playing out some elaborate story in my head. Moving the desks around or smelling the Janitor's cleaning supplies were the worst of those days.

We would always work in a day for shopping for clothes and supplies. Mother always made sure we had a new outfit and new shoes for the first day of school. I loved getting the folders, paper and pencils. In elementary you were cool if you bought pencils with sports teams on them, through the school office. Mother tried to do so once a month, to try and help my 'cool' factor. Being a teacher, she understood the importance of such things. Sadly, Mom only taught at my school first-third grade. When we moved from rural Ohio to Oklahoma City, she no longer served in the same schools as us kids. My Mother was a fantastic teacher! She won Teacher of the Year many times, and was State Teacher of the Year once. She, even at almost 75, is an amazing and requested substitute. Both children and teachers request her. Her passion for education ignited a passion in me. I loved the journey of learning.


In early elementary, I loved my Hardy Boys lunchbox! Hello, those boys are dreamy!
My favorite lunch was pb&j, or spaghetti o's in my thermos. I did purchase my lunch from time to time. I liked this "crusty sloppy joe" thing, and pizza day. My all time favorite was coming home for spaghetti o's, made by Mom, after Kindergarten.
I did half-day and rode the bus. On days when my Mother substituted or had appts. I went to an older lady who baby-sat me, and my little crush. (Who by the way, grew up to marry my best childhood friend and be the God Father to my daughter!)



That Kindergarten day was the most memorable. I was new to this school. I had moved with my family into this town during the first nine weeks of the year. My Mother had taken me one morning to register. They kept me, took me to my class. My Mother was wrecked with fear as we did not say goodbye and neither of us knew what bus I rode. The office assured her I would get home. I rode the bus around and around Sebring, Ohio. Everyone was gone and the bus driver looks back to see this little 30 lb. girl still sitting there. He only noticed me because I sheepishly spoke up asking, "can you take me home?" He asked me where I lived. I was five and in a new town. Seriously? As I began to cry, I happened to see my babysitter's house and realized I lived close by from there. I cannot remember if he called someone or not, but I do remember my Mother running out to me with tears, and I to her. I was home.
The longing for home and Mother's warmth never faded throughout all my years. I went to many various schools. I rode buses, walked, rode my bike, and had Dad drive me. Eventually, I drove myself to school. Everytime I came in from a long day, the comfort and safety of home was the best part of the day.

Comments

Ah, the days of soda pop bottles in a machine! What a great memory.

The bus incident astounded me. I can imagine how frantic your mom must have been and how confused you were. I can't believe the school did that.

Thanks for participating and linking up!