Flashback Friday ~ Food For Thought

As I mentioned Friday, Mocha With Linda, raised these questions for Flashback Friday.

What were meals like when you were growing up? Did your mom (or dad) cook (and was it from scratch or from a box?) or did your family eat out much of the time? Did you eat together as a family or was everyone on a different schedule? What did you call meals? (Dinner vs. supper, lunch, etc.) What were some of your favorite things that your parent fixed? What did you dislike and vow never to fix once you grew up? Did your family have any food traditions, things that were a must on certain occasions (such as Sunday dinners or holiday meals)? Did your parent teach you to cook or did you wing it once you were grown? How similar or different are your family's eating habits today than when you grew up?


My Response:
Both my Parents worked outside the home, and shared responsibilities in the home. My Daddy had grown up helping his Mother in the home while his brothers worked outside.
Dad is a natural cook and made many a meal special throughout our lives. He still does, although now my Sister and I often do the cooking. He does still cook for Mother almost daily.

Dad would create his own meals. I do not ever remember him using a recipe or a book, although he would help Mother when she was trying a new recipe. I can almost smell his Bean Soup on a Winter day, and remember the Pasta Salads he would create during hot summers. He was a meat and potato man, so both were often a part of dinner meals.
I always loved waking up to the smell of bacon and pancakes on Saturday morning. Lunches were our only meal apart. When I was older, he traveled a lot and I would try and cook for Mother and I. That is how I learned and developed my "semi-homemade" way of cooking. When we knew dad was returning, then a special meal would be made. Meals were a way of showing our love and appreciation for each other.

Even as teens and adults, meals have always been a special part of daily life with my folks. Dad would plan special Sunday gatherings. In fact, Sunday lunchtime was always a joyful family event. Even when dad was preaching, he would start the meal before services. He would turn the oven on low for the services, checking back at the parsonage in between Sunday School and church time. How that man managed? We would walk back in the house with aromas that made you warm and fuzzy! We would get changed and help Mother set the table, if we had not before church. Then everyone would gather around the table for a full out feast. With our tummy's full, Mother would top it off with one of her amazing desserts. Nap time obviously came next!
These special Sunday's continued on even with my children. To this day, my Sister, her family, and Mom and Dad gather on many a Sunday after church. If we are in town visiting, then aunts, cousins and others join our family for an outdoor feast on Sunday.

My parents taught me not only the side to good eating, but how family eating is healthy for the soul! I had my own idea of 'soul food'. Looking back, I could write a book off all the lessons learned from mealtime and special meals.

Read more stories about food traditions at Mocha With Linda.

Comments

I absolutely loved this! So many sweet memories and lots of love.