TOS REVIEW: Critical Thinking Company


"Empower the Mind!" is the logo banner, in the corner of our workbook. The Critical Thinking Company delivered such an experience!

I could stop right there, as the cover alone, tells the story of what awaits as you turn the pages. We received "The Critical Thinking Company's - Balance Benders" Beginning workbook, "Logic and Algebraic Reasoning Puzzles" by Robert Femiano. This book is designated for Grades 2-6! We had the pleasure of being introduced to this company by being a part of the TOS Homeschool Crew. We received this workbook free of charge in return for an honest review.

Our son is a pre-teen and is a boy who loves strategy and logic games. He has taught himself Chess, loves puzzles and problem solving. I wandered if he would be open to a workbook genre, to have a concrete way for me to show our evaluator. Thankfully, he was willing and found it all 'pretty cool'. I present the page to him and he reads the directions. I make sure he is clear on the objective. He then breezes through the page. This lets me know he is ready to move on to the next level, but for now we work on through this book. I check the answers and then have him explain why the answers are correct. We then discuss the 'balance Tips" together, which are at the back of the book. These are the "Algebra Concepts" covered. I am learning again as I work with my children. I am glad to have this refresher as we will be tackling upper grade Algebra, before we know it! Our daughter struggled so with Algebra, but I forsee our son enjoying the adventure. These building blocks from The Critical Thinking Company will help form a solid foundation. They claim to be even more addictive than Sudoku; I would have to agree.

As I began to search the website and catalog, I became even more excited and have added a few items to next year's wish list. There is a wonderful Parent's Newsletter to subscribe to, free trials and more.
Curriculum for Core, Critical Thinking, Language Arts, Math, Science, History, and Test Prep you are sure to find something valuable at this site! Check out some of the demo's and give this curriculum a try! You will be challenged!

This quote was shared in their Feb. newsletter: "Thinking is skilled work. It is not true that we are naturally endowed with the ability to think clearly and logically — without learning how, or without practicing…” - Alfred Mander, author

Comments

Ring Leader said…
I just looked through their catalog and must have missed this! I'll have to check it out in more detail at the FPEA convention next month. Perhaps my 'math genius' would enjoy it too!
Becky said…
Ring Leader it is on page 16 of the new catalog! It is also a test prep product. A new favorite in our home!